Earth Day is this Friday, April 22, 2016, and you can do more than just plant a tree (though that’s also on the list). Here are 35 ways you can give our earth a little extra lovin’ this year:
- Wash your laundry with cold water.
- Line-dry your clothes.
- Challenge yourself to a 5-minute shower.
- Turn off the water when you brush your teeth or shave.
- Turn off the water when using shampoo or conditioner.
- Run the dishwasher only if it’s full.
- Turn off or turn down the lights.
- Set the mood with some candles (made of beeswax, of course).
- Take public transit.
- Ride your bike.
- Carpool to events.
- Jog outside instead of on the treadmill.
- Unplug any appliances/electronics when they are not in use.
- Install energy-saving light bulbs.
- Avoid screens (no tv, movies, video games, etc.).
- Get a compost bin.
- Buy yourself a stainless steel or glass water bottle (anything but plastic!)
- Buy yourself a coffee/tea travel mug.
- Bring that travel mug to the coffee shop instead of using a disposable cup.
- Take part in a community clean-up (or organize your own!)
- Bring your own cloth grocery bags to the grocery store instead of buying the plastic ones.
- Plan a clothing swap with friends, family or the community.
- Pack your lunch in a reusable container.
Connect with Nature
- Have a picnic.
- Plant a tree (or bush, or flowers, or herbs. Whatever floats your boat).
- Buy a house plant.
- Do some gardening.
- Go for a hike and appreciate nature.
- Go for a swim in a lake or ocean and appreciate it’s cleanliness, if you live somewhere that’s possible.
- Volunteer with a local environmental organization.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter.
- Avoid eating meat and/or animal products for the day.
- Buy locally-grown food.
- Switch to paperless billing.
- Learn to cook something new from scratch.
Have any other ideas about how you can easily celebrate Earth Day? Let me know in the comments below!